G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
This role sits within the CTO Office, which co-ordinates the G-Research technology strategy and vision.
As G-Research matures, we are constantly developing our technology platforms to stay at the leading edge of quantitative research. This means we are often considering transformative change to our technologies, methods, and approaches to system development.
Working within the CTO Architecture Practice, you will work to elaborate, prototype, and evangelise new foundational capabilities which are aligned to our strategic goals and allow new features to be engineered and released faster.
As an Application Architect focused on the Architecture Runway, you will:
- Act as a bridge between innovation/long-term strategy and Engineering by identifying and filling gaps in patterns and standards
- Architect and implement exemplar and proofs-of-concept which practically demonstrate how key concepts and strategic intents can be realised concretely in technology
- Identify feature and functionality gaps in current products and feed these to the Technology Innovation Group as areas for investigation and market review
- Work as part of our Engineering Technical Governance Team to provide organisation-wide guidance on best practice
- Support the CTO and Architecture Practice Lead in developing architectural thinking across G-Research
- Operate as part of the wider federated architecture team to answer emerging significant strategic questions and describe their impact on our current approaches
- Act as a key evangelist of standards and patterns to drive improvements in interoperability and assurance
- Proactively manage governance and quality, balancing business and security objectives
Who are we looking for?
You will have a demonstrable background in large-scale system and/or enterprise architecture with experience in system design within a comparable organisation focused on data science, analytics, and data processing at scale.
Ideally, you will also demonstrate the following:
- A breadth of experience in a wide range of application architecture approaches
- Sound technical background in system design, engineering or development with the ability to bridge the span of detailed technical through to high-level conceptual discussion
- Experience in developing architectures within modern application and cloud approaches such as DevOps, Immutable Infrastructure, Infrastructure-as-Code and Containerisation
- A good understanding of industry standards and best practice techniques to build and maintain data models, along with knowing the advantages and disadvantages of enterprise data models
- Strong communication skills with the ability to reduce complex problems such that they can be readily understood by a range of consumers
- Ability to bring structure to situations of high uncertainty and balance delivery imperative with driving for long-term outcomes
- An appreciation of the pros/cons of in-house, bespoke implementations versus the use of third party and commercial products
- Understanding and experience of the underlying issues in complex problems or situations and ability to relate these to simpler or better concepts/models
- Able to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team but also operate as a self-starter with a proactive approach
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines