Deputy Head of Engineering
Location : London
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
Reporting into the Head of Engineering, we are looking for an experienced leader to join our senior Engineering management team.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Oversight of a group of three different engineering functions, ensuring all SLAs are met. These comprise Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Software Engineering Services (SES)
- Delivery of an “as a service” approach to infrastructure, taking an API- and metrics-driven approach
- Responsibility for the overall planning, execution, and success of annual budget, which includes technical strategy, headcount and budget for the group. Regularly updating and realigning in response to business obstacles and the internal/external environment
- Setting of both medium- and long-term vision and goals for the group in line with business requirements
- Recruitment and career development of managers and their staff, along with compensation recommendations for the group
- Definition of group-level metrics and deliverables, as well as responsibility for defining group roles and responsibilities
- Representation of the group perspective at an Executive Management Team (EMT) and Board level, and collaboration with engineering leadership and key stakeholders on a regular basis
- Foster an environment of change and innovation, using knowledge of the internal and external environment to seek out improvement and innovation opportunities
- Lead the security and risk environment across the function, ensuring security and risk-related activities are fully integrated into ways of working; clear understanding of the security impact of decisions
- Act as an evangelist for the Engineering function
- Use business knowledge and networks to collaborate proactively on company-wide initiatives
- Build and maintain effective external/industry knowledge and network
- Take a value-driven approach to strategic planning; clearly articulating the measurable benefits and internal rate of return
- Work collaboratively with the Finance team to utilise financial modelling techniques to drive cost-effective approaches and value-based outcomes
- Identify and understand financial drivers in strategic planning; estimates project and programme timeline and budgets effectively
Who are we looking for?
You will be an intelligent, capable and distinguished manager of managers with a proven ability to lead teams that deliver first-class business value. You will have the breadth of experience necessary to deliver world-beating managerial, technical and thought leadership across a group of high-performance specialist engineering teams.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Senior technology leader, experienced in managing technology and infrastructure change, ideally with modern cloud development experience
- A manager of managers who is as comfortable with the people aspect of senior leadership as with the architectural and strategic elements
- A track record of effective stakeholder management and ability to influence in complex, cross-functional environments
- A commercial approach to business delivery and results
- Skilled communicator across all levels in the organisation, with the ability to flex communication approach according to the audience/situation
- Experience in developing and growing out large, high performance teams
- Ability to lead complex change programmes
- Effective decision making, leveraging systems thinking; considers mid-longer horizon impacts on the group, people and budget related decisions
- Experience in managing geographically distributed teams an advantage
- Experience leading both software and infrastructure functions is beneficial
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Lunch provided (via Just Eat for Business) and dedicated barista bar
- 30 days’ annual leave
- 9% company pension contributions
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Monthly company events
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply