AWS Cloud Engineer
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The Technology Innovation Group
G-Research is going through an exciting period of growth and transforming the way we run and build our technology platforms. The Technology Innovation Group (TIG) supports this change by continuously discovering, mapping and putting to test new technologies and approaches across the entire stack that might benefit the business as a whole.
We are looking for an experienced Cloud Engineer to join TIG to help us further evaluate and support innovative cloud-based approaches.
The group uses a combination of public and private clouds and an on-premise, dedicated lab to quickly explore and assess new technologies. There is hardly any limit to what we test: cloud-based big-data solutions, data lakes, novel data-stores, containerisation, machine learning, hardware infrastructure, hybrid cloud approaches, and new kinds of compute technology.
The position, within TIG, will be central to supporting the business make the most of the latest technologies. You will be part of a small team supporting the wider business in evaluating public and private cloud offerings and collaborating in the development of cloud-native and hybrid cloud solutions. It is a dynamic role supporting multiple kinds of projects running in the lab and cloud from different areas in the business simultaneously.
Responsibilities will include:
- Supporting and improving the already-established AWS environments, providing resources for proof-of-concepts and testing for the rest of the business
- Providing day-to-day assistance to lab users experimenting in AWS
- Helping shape the design and build of hybrid-cloud solutions aimed at improving the lab’s service offering and reporting that will be used as demonstrators for the rest of the business
- Attending national and international conferences to keep up-to-date on the latest trends and services
- Using your experience whilst experimenting in the lab to help define what services, solutions or approaches TIG should test next
Who are we looking for?
A key challenge for all the members of TIG is to cut through the noise of the constant flow of new technologies being released to cherry-pick the interesting ones to put to the test. This requires you to have a real passion for innovation, as well as a solid and proven track record in building cloud-based solutions.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Excellent knowledge of AWS concepts and services, with a particular focus around networking, EC2, IAM and AWS organisations
- Experience in designing and building secure hybrid big-data platforms taking advantage of both AWS and third-party services
- Experience with the Infrastructure-as-Code principles and their implementation in private, public and hybrid cloud scenarios
- Knowledge of Terraform and Ansible or similar technologies
- Scripting or programming skills, ideally with Python and/or Go
- Experience in building and operating CI/CD pipelines
- Some exposure to Docker and Kubernetes
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines