Cloud Innovation Engineer
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The Technology Innovation Group
G-Research is going through an exciting period of growth and transforming the way we run and build our technology platforms. The Technology Innovation Group (TIG) supports this change by continuously discovering, mapping and putting to test new technologies and approaches across the entire stack that might benefit the business as a whole.
We are looking for an experienced Engineer to join TIG to help us further evaluate and support innovative cloud-based approaches. This is a great opportunity to come on board to be part of a diverse, interdisciplinary, fast-paced team challenging (with reason and numbers) the ever-changing technology scenario.
The group uses a combination of public and private clouds and an on premise dedicated lab, to quickly explore and assess new technologies. This ranges from working on storage arrays to machine learning libraries and cloud-native solutions, building proof-of-concepts and prototypes, and collaborating with the rest of the business. There’s hardly any limit to what we test: cloud-based big-data solutions, data lakes, novel data-stores, containerisation, machine learning, hardware infrastructure, hybrid cloud approaches, and new kinds of compute technology.
The position, within TIG, will be central to supporting the business make the most of the latest technologies. You will be part of a small team supporting the wider business in evaluating public and private cloud offerings, and collaborating in the development of cloud-native and hybrid cloud solutions. It is a dynamic role supporting multiple kinds of projects running in the lab and cloud from different areas in the business simultaneously.
The responsibilities of the role include:
- Supporting and improving the already-established AWS environments providing resources for proof-of-concepts and testing for the rest of the business
- Providing day-to-day assistance to lab users experimenting in AWS
- Helping shape the design and build hybrid-cloud solutions aimed at improving the Lab’s service offering and reporting that will be used as demonstrators for the rest of the business
- Attending national and international conferences to keep updated on the latest trends and services
- Using your experience whilst experimenting in the lab to help define what services, solutions or approaches TIG should test next
Who are we looking for?
A key challenge for all the members of TIG is to cut through the noise of the never-stopping flow of new technologies being released into the wild to cherry-pick the interesting ones to be put to the test. This requires you to have a real passion for innovation, as well as a solid and proven track-record in building cloud-based solutions.
You will ideally have the following:
- Experience in designing and building secure hybrid big-data platforms taking advantage of both AWS and third-party services
- Solid knowledge of AWS concepts and services, with a particular focus around networking, EC2, IAM and AWS Organisations
- Knowledge of Terraform, Ansible and/or Kubernetes
- Experience with HPC/HTC systems and environments
- Have a passion (and track-record) for benchmarking innovative technologies and approaches between each other and against existing solutions
Previous experience in one or more of these roles would be beneficial, but not essential:
- Solutions Architect
- Cloud Advocate
- Developer Relations (DevRel)
- Data Engineer
Why should you apply?
- You will work on projects that are critical to the success of our business
- We solve incredibly difficult problems using the best tools available for the job, and are rapidly extending the use of new technologies
- Excellent growth and advancement opportunities
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply