Software Engineering Manager – Tick Data
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The Tick Data team is responsible for building platforms and tools to manage, process and deliver our entire catalogue of tick-by-tick exchange data for research.
The team uses cutting-edge technologies to store, transform and serve this multi-petabyte dataset to meet the high performance expectations of our Research teams.
The key responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Manage and cultivate a high performing development team of five software engineers
- Steer and contribute to the technical deliverables of the team, ensuring that the requirements of the business are met
- Identify gaps between current and desired future state and define the practical concrete steps to meet the change required
- Positively engage people by articulating the vision to drive an open and progressive work environment
- Define the strategic roadmap for tick data in collaboration with stakeholders across the business
- Report quarterly to the Executive Management Team on the progress towards high-level goals and commitments
- Collaborate with the Data Engineering leadership team to identify and align areas of strategic overlap, prioritising the success of the Data Engineering function and avoiding tunnel-vision within teams
- Contribute to the wider engineering landscape within G-Research, communicating our ideas, plans and practices
Who are we looking for?
You will have a hands-on approach and a proven ability to manage teams that develop and deliver high-quality software. As well as leadership experience, we are looking for a person who has experience with large-scale data engineering and a thorough understanding of complex distributed systems, diverse workflows and the ability to suggest creative solutions to difficult problems. Prior experience of exchange data is very beneficial, but equally important is an ability to see how this data fits into the bigger picture at G-Research, underpinning the work of other teams. We want a manager who shares our passion and excitement for where this data can take us and who uses this vision to inspire and drive the team.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
- Managing and motivating a team of high-performing software engineers
- Experience in engineering high throughput data platforms, using modern open-source languages/technologies
- Experience of data architecture practices and technologies
- Practical expertise in a JVM or .NET language and experience of Kubernetes
- Track record in delivering high quality systems
- Commercial approach to business delivery and results
- Ability to lead through change
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines