Head of Low Latency Engineering
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The successful candidate for this role will define and embed the medium-to-long term technology strategy for Low Latency Engineering, partnering with peers, the Deputy Head of Engineering, and principal engineers. They will lead six Low Latency engineering teams, and be accountable for the roadmap, technical strategy, headcount, and budget for the function, regularly updating and realigning in response to business obstacles and changes.
Reporting into the Deputy Head of Engineering, the key responsibilities of the role are:
- Driving cross-team and functional discussions and decisions on priorities , technology and people strategy, effectively balancing the needs of the function with those of the broader Engineering group and business as a whole
- Developing engineering talent and leadership within and across the function; effectively managing and developing team managers
- Identifying gaps between current and desired future state and defining the practical concrete steps to meet the change required
- Fostering an environment of change and innovation, using knowledge of internal and external environment to seek out improvement and innovation opportunities
- Leading the security and risk environment across the function, ensuring 3 Lines of Defence (3LoD) and risk-related activities are fully integrated into ways of working, with a clear understanding of the security impact of decisions
- Using business knowledge and networks to collaborate proactively on company-wide initiatives
- Building and maintaining effective industry knowledge and network
- Maintaining a working relationship with our clients to develop and deliver a roadmap to meet their needs
- Reducing the operational and financial risk of clients by building clear and intuitive products for the management of a global trading platform
- Taking a value-driven approach to strategic planning, clearly articulating the measurable benefits and internal rate of return
- Working collaboratively with the Finance team to utilise financial modelling techniques to drive cost-effective approaches and value-based outcomes
- Identifying and understanding financial drivers in strategic planning, estimating project and programme timeline and budgets effectively
Who are we looking for?
You will be an intelligent, capable and distinguished team manager with a proven ability to lead teams that deliver first-class business value. They will have the breadth of experience necessary to deliver world-beating managerial, technical and thought leadership across a group of high-performance specialist teams.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
- A background in software development and management of software development projects, with demonstrable success in timely and sustained delivery
- A track record of effective stakeholder management and ability to influence in complex, cross-functional environments
- A commercial approach to business delivery and results
- Skilled communicator across all levels in the organisation, with the ability to flex communication approach according to the audience/situation
- Experience in developing high-performance teams
- Ability to lead through change
- Effective decision making, leveraging systems thinking; considering mid-long term impacts on functional-, people- and roadmap-related decisions
- Experience within the financial domain preferable
- Experience in low latency engineering preferable
- Experience in managing and developing a team of managers preferable
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines