Software Engineering Manager — Core Engineering Services
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in the financial markets.
We are seeking an experienced manager to lead our well-established and growing Core Engineering Services team, currently consisting of six people. With both developers and seasoned ops specialists on the team, Core Engineering Services builds, maintains and operates various key services that help drive the productivity of hundreds of developers and engineers across the company.
It is a friendly and open team that solves delivery, productivity and security issues right across engineering, getting teams to production faster and greatly enhancing the overall developer experience at G-Research. To do this, we meld the best commercial and open source systems out there with custom in-house software that the team develops.
In this engineering leadership position, you will:
- Provide the technical guidance, wisdom, prioritisation skills and people leadership to help the team develop and operate their various systems, which use a mixture of technologies and languages (C#, Go, Python, TypeScript, Ansible, Terraform, GitHub Enterprise Server, GitHub Actions, Docker, Kubernetes, ArgoCD, and more)
- Lead a team of motivated individuals to find simple solutions to hard problems
- Be a DevOps and developer experience thought leader within the company, helping spread knowledge and taking the lessons the team has learnt to improve thinking and approaches in the rest of the organisation
- Lead by example – both within the team and across the business
This role will give you:
- Leadership of a team who value integrity and psychological safety – we’re all in it together, and value our ability to reflect and improve ourselves collectively
- The ability, time and space to experiment and build things properly, so that we can make sound choices and create solutions that the team is proud of
- High levels of technical freedom, autonomy and direction-setting, with good back-up and support from the rest of the management team that surrounds you
- A short feedback loop - the team not only “dogfoods” its own work as you’d expect, but does so with a continuous delivery platform that the team also provides to the rest of the company, who consist of highly intelligent, co-located engineers – the feedback loops are very rapid
- A team that has already bought in to modern approaches and has a strong culture of DevSecOps (for example we routinely and automatically rebuild machines and services from scratch) – this will allow you to really focus on creating more value
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have:
- Demonstrable experience running a team of software engineers or ops specialists, ideally responsible for multiple systems
- Good debugging and problem-solving skills and experience
- A sound understanding of DevOps principles
- Strong technical acumen - you’re a good decision maker, excel at making trade-offs and finding sweet-spots across multiple axes, and you seldom see the world in black and white
- A hunger to improve things, automate, fix workflows, and sort out all the issues that really matter to developers and engineers
- Experience of cloud-based systems (Kubernetes) and cloud-native approaches would be useful, though not essential
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines