Realtime Platform Software Engineer
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
We’re looking for a top Software Engineer to join our Real-time Platform Development (RPD) team.
RPD is one of two groups of engineers at G-Research who work most closely with our quantitative researchers. RPD’s mission is to maximise the quality and quantity of research the quants are able to develop and deliver to production. This involves a large variety of tasks, including engineering of complex data analysis and simulation algorithms, implementation of experimental new investment components, and supporting world-class mathematical researchers through the development of software that works on massive data sets.
Key information on the role’s responsibilities:
- We are a multi-disciplinary group and write in a number of different programming languages. The platform codebase is written mostly in C#, but we also write a significant amount of code in F# and some Python
- The research platform and the production system are tightly integrated and between them form a large code base with strict performance requirements. Members of the group will often work on both research and production simultaneously, engineering solutions that meet the diverse set of requirements demanded by both systems
- Despite the work being focused around an existing platform, this is not a software maintenance role: we constantly strive to add new features, extend the platform, and keep it cutting edge in a very competitive industry
- Members of the group work closely with specialist quant researchers; we are looking for a dedicated developer who enjoys the challenges of software engineering and wishes to operate in close proximity to quants but does not aspire to a move into a full research role
- The group operates in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment – we are looking for an engineer who is capable of making quick decisions and is comfortable being accountable for the outcomes of their work (positive or otherwise)
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will be an experienced, competent, and practical software engineer with:
- Excellent academics, such as a 2:1 or better in Computer Science or a related technical subject, or comparable professional experience
- Strong problem solving skills, with the ability to work independently on projects and as part of a team in order to develop solutions and improve system architecture
- The ability to communicate well with both technical and non-technical users in order to understand their needs; how best to support them; and to teach or explain to them how to take full advantage of the research platform. The users have a very mathematical approach to their work, so aptitude in this area is valuable
- An interest in a variety of different programming styles, including OO and Functional
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines