Compute and Cloud Services Engineering Manager
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The Compute and Cloud Services Engineering group provides all Compute and Cloud services to the firm, which is a combination of both on- and off-premise (public cloud) services. On-premise Compute services are based heavily on open-source technologies; delivering these services via immutable methodologies and Infrastructure as Code is at the core of how we operate.
The G-Research infrastructure is global in nature and continues to grow at a significant rate, so experience of engineering and delivering infrastructure at scale globally will be key to this role. You will be responsible for both engineering and operating our Compute and Cloud Services, therefore both technical and operational experience is required.
Reporting into the Head of Infrastructure, the key responsibilities of the role are to:
- Steer and contribute to the technical deliverables of the team, ensuring that the requirements of the business are met
- Define the technical and team roadmap in collaboration with stakeholders across the organisation at all levels
- Manage and cultivate a high performing development team of engineering managers and assist them with day-to-day issues
- Drive the overall planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects associated with the team, reconciling both short- and long-term business and divisional vision and goals
- Identify gaps between current and desired future state and define the practical concrete steps to meet the change required
- Positively engage people and articulate the vision to drive an open and progressive work environment
- Define the strategic roadmap for Compute and Cloud services in collaboration with stakeholders across the business
- Report quarterly to the Executive Management Team on the progress towards high-level goals and commitments
- Collaborate with the Infrastructure Leadership Team to identify and align areas of strategic overlap, prioritising the success of the Infrastructure as a Service function and avoiding tunnel-vision within teams
- Contribute to the wider engineering landscape within G-Research, communicating our ideas, plans and practices to other functions and divisions
Who are we looking for?
You will have a hands-on approach and a proven ability to manage teams that develop and deliver high quality infrastructure. As well as leadership experience, we are looking for a person who has experience of large scale engineering and a thorough understanding of complex distributed systems, diverse workflows and the ability to suggest creative solutions to difficult problems.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Managing and motivating a team of high-performing engineering managers
- Engineering high throughput infrastructure platforms, using modern open-source languages/technologies
- Delivering Public Cloud Services (preference for AWS but others considered, e.g GCS or Azure)
- Operating global infrastructures at multi-thousand server scale
- Dealing with large scale commercial agreements
- Proven in-depth knowledge of software/systems architectures
- Commercial approach to business delivery and results
- Ability to lead through change
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines