Technology Innovation Engineer
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
G-Research is going through an exciting period of growth, transforming the way we run and build our technology platforms. The Technology Innovation Group’s (TIG) mission is to support this change by continuously discovering, mapping and testing new technologies and approaches across the entire stack that might benefit the business as a whole.
This role is a great opportunity for an experienced technologist to join a diverse, interdisciplinary, and fast-paced team to help assess the credibility and viability of new tech start-ups and the technologies they are developing.
The group uses a combination of public and private clouds and an on-premise dedicated lab to quickly explore and assess new technologies. These include storage arrays, machine learning libraries, new kinds of server or accelerators, as well as entire data science and software engineering platforms. We build proof-of-concepts and prototypes, collaborating with the rest of the business to assess these technologies against specific workloads and use cases.
The position will be central to supporting the business to make the most of the latest technologies and build relationships with the most promising tech start-ups.
The responsibilities of the role include:
- Surveying and drawing up a landscape of technologies important to us
- Assessing viability of early- and mid-stage start-ups and the credibility of their technologies
- Engaging at CTO level with start-ups and tech firms to understand their products and roadmap
- Assessing and comparing vendor technology roadmaps and their capabilities to deliver against it
- Standing up end-to-end technology platforms and evaluating their functionality and performance
- Assessing technology capability in isolation, as well as how it addresses specific workload types and use cases in our production environment
- Benchmarking technologies against vendor claims and against competing products
- Finding and working with resources within G-Research to understand how we would use a technology
- Understanding the technical challenges involved in deploying new technologies
- Articulating new feature requests to vendors
- Helping operationalise the relationship with suppliers whose technology we adopt
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have:
- Extensive, hands-on technology experience
- Able to engage with technology leads and CTOs from start-ups to quiz them on the capabilities of their technologies
- Able to build working proof-of-concepts to test those technologies
- Attention to detail and a vision for what a good tech product in any particular space should be able to do
- Comfortable assessing how a technology compares to competitors in the market and whether it fits with where the broader market is heading
- Experience of data science, machine learning and related technologies
- Background in building solutions in AWS
- Knowledge of Kubernetes and containerisation technologies
- Experience with Linux-based infrastructure
- Ability to work with vendors to deploy their solutions into production
- Scripting or programming skills, including infrastructure-as-code
- Awareness and interest in major technology trends and major technology playersAwareness of cyber security
Previous experience in these roles would be beneficial, though not required:
- Pre-sales technical lead
- Solution Architect
- Senior Developer
Additionally, previous experience in the following environments would be beneficial, though not required:
- A large financial institution
- A tech start-up
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply